BE SMART Tutoring
Welcome to BE SMART Tutoring!
The Academic Success Center (ASC) provides peer and professional tutors in Business, Economics, Science, Math, Aviation Regulations, and Technology. If you need assistance with courses in these subjects, BE SMART tutors will be able to assist you.
In supporting the ASC's overall mission, the tutoring program aims to enhance UD students' learning strategies as they become self-determined, motivated, and independent learners both in the classroom and in professional life. All tutoring services are free to University of Dubuque students.
ASC Hours for Spring Semester (beginning Feb. 5th)
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Who Are Our Tutors?
In addition to professional tutors, the BE SMART program has peer tutors who are carefully selected, trained, and supervised by ASC professional staff. Peer tutors must meet the following qualifications:
- earn a 3.5 GPA or better in the course they wish to tutor
- earn a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- receive a faculty recommendation for each course for which they plan to tutor
Tutors can assist with courses from Introductory Algebra through Calculus, various levels of Accounting, Environmental Science and Biology, and many Computer courses. As successful students, tutors share their knowledge and love of learning, and they help establish a friendly, inclusive environment that fosters academic achievement.
How Can You Make an Appointment?
The ASC uses a web-based appointment scheduling system known as WCOnline. This system allows students to view ASC tutor schedules and to make appointments at the students' convenience. Below are a few basic steps to get you started:
Step 1: Register & Sign-In
Go to https://dbq.mywconline.com/ to register for an account (only on your first visit) or to sign in. Once signed in, please select the BE SMART Schedule if you need help with one of these subject areas.
Step 2: Pick a Course on the BE SMART Schedule
Click on the Dropdown Menu next to "Limit to" to select the course for which you want a tutor. Once you select the course, the schedule will refresh and show only those tutors who can assist you with that subject.
Step 3: Choose a Tutor & Select a Time
- Select a tutor once you have chosen your subject area.
- Click on an available, convenient timeslot (shown in white) and the appointment window will appear.
- Complete the questions asked, including the appointment duration, and click on "Save Appointment."
- A message will appear that the appointment was successfully made. You should also receive a confirmation e-mail. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail or if you have any other questions, please feel free to call the ASC at 563.589.3262.
You have successfully made a tutoring appointment!
Important Policies to Remember
- You may cancel the appointment online up to one hour before its start time. Simply log-in to WCOnline, find and open the appointment you wish to cancel ,and click on "Cancel This Appointment."
- You may cancel the appointment within one hour of its start time by calling 563.589.3262 or visiting the ASC.
- If you fail to cancel your appointment or are more than 15 minutes late, you will be considered a "No-Show" If you miss more than two appointments during a semester, you will no longer be able to make appointments online and will have to visit the ASC on a walk-in basis.
Please Note: Students may still drop in to the ASC to receive assistance without an appointment, but tutor availability is not guaranteed. If you need assistance in a specific subject area not listed on our online schedule (sociology, religion, etc.), please contact the Assistant Director of the ASC, James Drury, at JDrury@dbq.edu or call the ASC at 563.589.3262. We will always try to find a suitable tutor, but we cannot guarantee that one will be available.