John Herrig ('79)
Cross Country | Track & Field
John Herrig, of Sioux City, Iowa, participated in cross country from 1975 to 1978 and track and field from 1976 to 1979. While at UD, Herrig was a dedicated member of the Thirteener Fraternity. In addition to athletics, he credits his time spent with his fraternity as an important part of his college life that he still cherishes today.
Since graduation, Herrig has found the love of his life, Mimi. He’s enjoyed his career as an advocate for workers with The Machinists Union, and he has achieved the two highest positions in the area: Iowa State Council of Machinists President and Directing Business Representative for Iowa-Nebraska-NW Illinois.
Herrig was inducted into the Northwest Iowa Labor Hall of Famein October 2014. He has had the honor of having personal meetings with three Presidents of the U.S. Herrig has coached at Hempstead H.S., Missouri, University of Dubuque, and Morningside. His most notable athletic accomplishments include coaching Rosalyn Dunlap to a World Indoor Record 600 yard dash at the 1982 Big-8 Indoor Championships, seven All-Americans, and one world record holder.
- School Record Holder for Cross Country (25:14.0 in 1978)
- 3-time All-Iowa Conference in XC (1975: 3rd place; 1977: 14th place; 1978: 11th place)
- Spartans top finisher at NCAA Championships in 1976
- School Record Holder in 4 x-1 mile relay and 4,000m Distance Medley
- 2nd All-Time at UD in Steeplechase (record was broken in 2015 after 36 years)