Lynn (Werner) Phillips ('84)
Basketball | Softball | Volleyball
Lynn (Werner) Phillips, of Mobile, Alabama, played volleyball, basketball, and softball at the University of Dubuque from 1981 to 1984, and she was a football trainer for the 1983 and 1984 seasons. One of Phillips’ proudest accomplishments was being the first female student-athlete to be awarded the Moco Mercer Memorial Scholarship, honoring her participation in three varsity sports for four years, being a football trainer for two seasons, and graduating cum laude.
After graduation, Lynn was hired to coach and start a volleyball program at Brescia College in Owensboro, Kentucky. During her first year, she had an intramural team, by her fourth year, the team won the Sectional Tournament and placed fourth in the Kentucky State Finals. Lynn taught and coached for over 20 years with many accomplishments including being named Teacher of the Year, coaching the 16 year-olds Junior Olympic Volleyball Team, and being nominated for inclusion in the 2013 Northwest Illinois Sports Hall of Fame. In 2015, Lynn obtained her real estate license and is a realtor for Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Cooper & CO. in Mobile, Alabama.
- 12-time letter winner in 3 sports at UD
- Team Captain: volleyball, basketball, and softball
- First female to receive Moco Mercer Scholarship
- Second Team All-Iowa Conference Volleyball in 1982 on Spartans team that won IIAC Championship
- Volleyball team went 46-5 as a junior and 45-8 as a sophomore (37-4 as a junior and 38-7 as sophomore by NCAA standards)
- Second Team All-IIAC Softball in 1984, finished 2nd in conference with a .379 batting average
- Academic All-American in softball