Programs & Services
Life Services promotes the following student activities, events, programming, and services throughout the academic year. Please contact the office for further details:
- UD Counseling Team
- UD Cares Team
- Initial Assessment and Short-term Personal & Career Counseling
- Life Coaching
- Spiritual Counseling
- Ally Training
- Mental Health First Aid Training
- Referral Services to Off-Campus Programs/Services, for such issues as: Alcohol and other Substance Abuse, Anxiety, Debt Management, Depression, Eating Disorders, Gambling, LGBTQ, Pregnancy, Stress Management, and Other Concerns
- Referral services to On-Campus deptartments/programs/services such as: Academic Affairs, Academic Support Center, Athletics, Student Organizations, Faculty Advisors, Financial Aid, Residence Life, Campus Ministry, Health Services Office, and other departments of interest
- Resources for on-campus and/or off-campus programs and services
- Don't Cancel Class Program on topical areas of Life Services
- Online Voluntary Screenings
- Monthly Awareness & Hosted Informational Booths
- Collaborate to provide Professional Development Forum to promote education, safety and cross-cultural competencies through the Navigating Similarities and Differences Program
- Wellness initiatives to enhance the following six dimensions: cultural, emotional, intellectual, physical, social, and spiritual.
The UD Cares mission compliments the University of Dubuque's mission. The team offers a supportive and encouraging partnership with students by linking them with appropriate resources that will allow them the opportunities to overcome barriers on their path to success as they pursue their educational goals.
What is UD Cares?
UD Cares is an early alert initiative composed of professionals from various areas of campus life who deal with students on a regular basis: Academic Support, Academic Affairs, Athletics, Finance, Security, and Student Life. The team offers support and assistance with immediate issues. All concerns remain confidential.
Referrals are made from faculty, staff, parents, other students, or from the students themselves. Concerns may be sent via e-mail to Mike Durnin, Dean of Student Formation, at MDurnin@dbq.edu or 563.589.3270.
Why contact UD Cares?
The team may address the following issues of concern:
- Comprehensive/comprehension problems which may affect academic performance
- Class attendance
- Physical concerns
- Difficulty with class participation
- Emotional needs
- Academic concerns
- Time management
- Roommate concerns
- Uncertainty about a major
- Difficulties in dealing with specific offices, faculty, or staff
- Suggestions or complaints dealing with individuals/systems
Undergraduate Student Resources Advisor (aka "Campus Mom")
Unique to the University of Dubuque is the position of Undergraduate Student Resources Advisor, better known as the "Campus Mom". She is available to help students as a confidante, advisor, mentor, mediator, problem-solver, and ombudsperson.
The Campus Mom can assist with:
- Roommate problems
- Concerns or confusion about classes
- Uncertainty about how to talk with an instructor
- Health concerns and where to get help
- Family/friend illness or death of a family or friend
- Any other student concern
Barb Smeltzer, M.A.
Undergraduate Student Resource Advisor-"Campus Mom"
208 Peters Commons
Office Hours: Monday-Friday during the academic year