Computer Information Systems and Mathematics
The Computer Information Systems and Mathematics Department (CISM) at the University Of Dubuque (UD) offers students an excellent education, and opportunities to participate in major-related extracurricular activities and internships.
CISM offers five majors that prepare students to work in industry or pursue advanced degrees:
CISM classes are taught by outstanding faculty who:
- Possess a variety of skills and areas of expertise
- Hold advanced degrees or have many years of industry experience in their fields
- Truly care about the students and their success
The Student Learning Outcomes for CIS majors are:
- To give students a sound foundation, and desire for continual learning, in all areas of Computer Information Systems.
- To develop students' critical thinking skills to prepare them to work in today’s information technology environment.
- To develop students' personal character in order to instill ethical decision making.
The Student Learning Outcomes for Mathematics majors are:
- To enhance students’ computational and proof skills, while encouraging their enjoyment and appreciation of mathematics.
- To improve students’ ability to communicate, apply, and represent mathematics well.
- To promote students’ ethical application of mathematics in representations and decisions.
CISM students have opportunities to engage in major-related activities, such as the computer club, and to attend professional conferences. In addition to learning and befriending students with similar interests, these activities allow students to gain leadership experience. Enterprising students even present at the conferences.
Most of the students participate in at least one internship to gain “real-world’ work experience. Some students participate in more. IBM, a world-class organization, has an office right in Dubuque and is an example of a company that hires many UD interns and graduates.
Give any of the faculty a call, or come to UD for a visit. We would be happy to tell you more about our programs or to show them to you!