Nursing Student Forgivable Loan Programs Federal Program:
Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program (NELRP)
- Offered to Registered Nurses
- Repays educational loans in exchange for service in critical shortage facilities
- Purpose is to assist in recruitment and retention of professional nurses dedicated to providing health care to underserved populations
- Repays up to 85% of qualifying loans
More information can be found online at Nurse Corps
Contact: CallCenter@hrsa.gov or 877.464.4772
Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays), 9 am to 5:30 pm ET
State of Iowa Program:
Iowa Student Loan Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program
- a) For Nursing Educators, be enrolled in and graduate from a post-baccalaureate nursing educator program (including non-nursing doctoral programs that qualify the individual to teach nursing) at an accredited Iowa university, college, or other similar institution, or
b) For Registered Nurses, be enrolled in and graduate from a Registered Nursing program at an accredited Iowa university, college, or other similar educational institution and provide direct patient care in Iowa.
- Pass the required National Council Licensing Examination for Registered Nurses.
- Be employed full-time, as defined by the employer, as a Nursing Educator in Iowa or Registered Nurse providing direct patient care in Iowa within 12 months of graduation.
- Have received a Federal Family Education Stafford Loan or Federal Consolidation Loan (including Federal Direct Loans) that is owned or serviced by Iowa Student Loan or a Partnership (student) Loan from Iowa Student Loan.
- Submit the required Nursing Education Loan Forgiveness application by the annually published priority deadline.
- Possible 100% repayment of up to $15,000 in 4 years working in a Long-Term Care Facility, $10,000 in rural counties and $5,000 all other urban counties, $20,000 for nursing educators.
Additional information and contacts:
Iowa Student Loan
Ashford Bldg I
6805 Vista Avenue
West Des Moines, IA 50266
Aspire Servicing Center - (Formerly Iowa Student Loans)