The Omaha Presbyterian Seminary Foundation has recently announced the recipients of the Apollos Scholarship Program. Apollos scholarship awards continue the tradition of the Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Omaha, which opened in the fall of 1891.
Apollos Scholarships offer recipients $3,000 annually toward their expenses while they are enrolled in the Master of Divinity degree program. Seventeen students were chosen as Apollos Scholars this year, including two from the University of Dubuque Theological Seminary: Ekram Kachu, middler, from Cottage Grove Avenue Presbyterian Church in Des Moines, Iowa and the Presbytery of Des Moines; and Matthew Wilcox, third year of distance Education, from Highland Presbyterian Church of Lancaster Pennsylvania, and Donegal Presbytery.
Another UDTS student, Andrew Smothers, who was awarded the Howard B. Dooley Scholarship by the Omaha Presbyterian Seminary Foundation in 2012 is continuing his seminary studies. Andrew is a second-year Master of Divinity student and a member of the Saint Andrew Presbyterian Church in Iowa City, Iowa, and is under the care of the East Iowa Presbytery.
Scholarship applications are submitted by members of Presbyterian Church (USA) congregations who are under the care of their presbyteries as either an Inquirer or Candidate for ministry. Applicants must be accepted by one of the 10 theological institutions under the jurisdiction of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
“The faculty and staff of the University of Dubuque Theological Seminary rejoice with Ms. Kachu, Mr. Wilcox, and Mr. Smothers on this recognition of their strong gifts for ministry,” commented Bradley Longfield, vice president and dean of the Seminary. “We deeply appreciate the support of the Omaha Presbyterian Seminary Foundation and their efforts to encourage faithful, effective ministers of the Gospel.”
The Omaha Presbyterian Seminary Foundation offers financial assistance to those seeking to become ordained leaders in the Presbyterian Church (USA). Following the Apollos Program tradition begun in 1954, the Foundation has provided over $3 million in funds given directly to seminarians to use as their needs dictate.