The University of Dubuque (UD) offers unparalleled support to our student veterans. UD’s commitment to our Nation’s service-members and veterans dates to World War II with the Navy’s V5/V12 programs, continuing to the present day with a vibrant Army ROTC Eagle Detachment, and a veteran support group for those studying on campus. In addition, for the past 15 years UD has purposefully encouraged Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDDS) graduates living overseas to join our community. Their unique experiences and perspectives have contributed immeasurably to the campus culture. The University of Dubuque has been given a “Military Friendly” rating by GI Jobs magazine, is a Yellow Ribbon School, a Vietnam War Commemoration Partner, and a Homebase Iowa employer. The University also employs faculty and staff throughout the campus community, who are veterans of all military branches.
The University of Dubuque is proud to offer the following assistance, education benefits, and veteran programs to all active duty military, veterans, and their families:
- A retired veteran is on-site, providing all student veterans one-on-one assistance to ensure they are receiving all of their entitled benefits.
- Serving our student veterans with one of the largest Veteran Centers in the region (study rooms, computers, WIFI, media hub, gaming systems, lounge, and kitchen)
- The University of Dubuque participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program. As of the 2017-18 school year, the university has contributed nearly $30,000 (one of the highest in the area) towards tuition and fees as part of the Yellow Ribbon program. The Veterans Administration matches that amount for a total of up to $60,000 towards tuition.
- Waive the college application fee for veterans relocating to the area
- DoDDS (Department of Defense Dependent Schools) Partnership Award - $3,000
- MCEI (Military Child Education Initiative) Award - $3,000
- Military Service Grant - $3,000
- ROTC Service (Contracted Cadets) - $6,000
- Robust and flourishing Army ROTC detachment
- Offers a reduced rate for LIFE (Accelerated Adult learning Program) Federal Tuition Assistance rate.
- Credit for Military service through Veterans Joint Service Transcript (JST).
- Acceptance of CLEP/DANTES exams for college credit
- Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
- Vocational Rehabilitation - Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)
For more information regarding veteran services at the University of Dubuque contact our Veteran Admission and Assistance Coordinator, Rick Ernst, at 563.589.3366, 563.543.9732 or RErnst@dbq.edu.