Disability Services

The Disability Services Coordinator assists students with all disability services at the University of Dubuque by verifying documented student disabilities, recommending accommodations, and providing information on disability-related issues. 

The University provides accommodations to students with learning differences or disabilities (e.g., ADHD ADD, dyslexia, physical condition, psychological diagnosis, etc.). Certain accommodations coordinated for students include (but are not limited to):

  • extended time on exams
  • distraction-reduced, quiet testing room
  • supplemental note-taking
  • a reader or scribe for exams or software with these capabilities
  • alternative textbooks (i.e., text that reads aloud)
  • screen readers on campus computers as well as students' personal computers and other eligible devices
  • enlarged print using the program ZoomText on a testing room computer
  • speech to text dictation software

To request accommodations, students must contact the Disability Services Coordinator and provide documentation such as a SAR (Support for Accommodations Request - see link below for details), a current (less than 5 years old) IEP or 504 plan. The Coordinator can be reached at 563.589.3218.

Students may send current documentation via:

Fax: 563.589.3722, Attn: Pam Crawford

E-mail: PCrawford@dbq.edu

Postal Mail:   

Disability Services / Academic Success Center
University of Dubuque
2000 University Ave
Dubuque, IA 52001

Please Note: The majority of reasonable accommodations are granted; however, students are not guaranteed accommodations. The University reserves the right to determine which accommodations are reasonable and do not fundamentally alter course requirements or the integrity of the program. 

For detailed information on the University of Dubuque's Policies for Students with Disabilities, please review the Policy on Reasonable Accommodations.

Useful Resources for Parents and Students: http://libguides.dbq.edu/collegesuccess/disabilities

Implementation Guidelines

The University of Dubuque utilizes documentation guidelines established by the State of Iowa and the Iowa Higher Education Initiative. The criteria for documentation varies depending on the individual's area of need.

Support for Accommodations Request (SAR)

Please Note:
If a student has already returned a separate Support for Accommodations Request (SAR) through the University's Medical Coordinator (found at this link), there is no need to fill out the SAR form listed here to request academic accommodations.