TRIO-Student Support Services
TRIO is composed of several federal grant funded programs that provide services and opportunities to students from underserved backgrounds. We have been supporting UD students through the Student Support Services (SSS) program since 2010.
Our goal is to help students find their own personal success during their time at the University of Dubuque. We meet students where they are and provide them with the tools and support to overcome obstacles, seek opportunity and become well rounded individuals.
The University of Dubuque’s TRIO-SSS program seeks to foster the academic, personal, financial and career success of participants by empowering them to take ownership of their future through holistic advising, professional tutoring and peer mentoring. The program also offers opportunities for participants to enrich their college experience with additional educational, cultural and career-readiness activities.
UD TRIO - SSS Vision
All UD TRIO – SSS participants will achieve their educational goals, leading to a fulfilling career and meaningful life.
TRIO-Student Support Services is a student success program at the University of Dubuque. The program works to foster growth and individual success in each student’s personal and academic career. We promote this growth through additional advising, workshops, and events. TRIO helps students achieve success by getting to know them on a personal level and advising them throughout their time at the University. When students are active in the program, it has led to higher GPA’s, graduation rates, and scholarship opportunities.
- Academic advising to help you better understand your degree requirements and major and career options. Student can schedule advising meetings by logging onto WC Online: https://dbq.mywconline.com
- Individual support and mentoring by TRIO staff throughout students' career at UD.
- Workshops to develop necessary strategies for academic success. Topics include: time management, study skills, financial aid, graduate school prep, budgeting, writing, test taking strategies, etc.
- Peer and professional tutoring. Students can schedule a tutoring appointment by logging onto WC Online: https://dbq.mywconline.com
- Opportunity to partake in new experiences through attending activities or events, such as UD Tailgate, performing arts shows, museum tours, game nights, etc.
- Scholarships offered each fall and spring semester.
TRIO Scholarship Requirements
Students enrolled in UD's TRIO - SSS program must:
- Meet with their TRIO adviser each fall and spring semester to create an individual "Action Plan for Success" to help guide each student's path to academic and personal achievement
- Schedule and attend a Midterm Meeting and other academic-related meetings as agreed to in the "Action Plan for Success."
- Earn a minimum of six (6) participation points each semester. Points are earned when students meet for tutoring or advising sessions and attend and actively engage in various TRIO-sponsored workshops, events, and activities.
- Be registered for the upcoming semester (First and second year students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours, and students in their third year and beyond must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours)
TRIO is a program provided to undergraduate students who are enrolled at the University of Dubuque, are a US citizen or permanent resident and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Low income as determined by federal guidelines
- First generation college student (neither parent has received a Bachelors Degree)
- Have a documented disability
How to Apply
To be considered for the TRIO - SSS program at the University of Dubuque, you will need to complete the Online Application. A program staff will review your application and then follow up with you for an intake meeting.
To hear more about the benefits of UD's TRIO - Student Support Services program directly from some our participants and professional staff, Click Here.