Program Mission, Goals, and Outcomes - MMSM
The Master in Management - Sport Management (MMSM) program’s mission is to help graduates develop an understanding and application of management practices and leadership skills in an organization. In addition to gaining practical competence in a specific field of study through a real world work experience, graduates will be prepared to think strategically, integrate and construct new knowledge, develop intrapersonal and interpersonal competencies, and apply excellent moral character to the practices of an organization. Specifically, the mission of the Sport Management (MMSM) is to prepare students for careers in a variety of sport industries, as well as to help them develop relationships through networking and mentoring opportunities designed to mold well-rounded business professionals.
- Lead and manage with in-depth knowledge in key areas of finance, human resources, operations and strategy.
- Exercise character and ethics in decision making.
- Communicate effectively across the global business landscape.
- Think and act both tactically and strategically in complex business situations.
- Research, plan, implement and evaluate the role that sport plays in the global marketplace.
PROGRAM STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Apply excellent moral character and professional ethics to the practices of an organization. (Program Goal 2)
- Communicate effectively through writing, speaking, listening and electronic media by using the language of business coupled with interpersonal and communication skills to lead organizational groups in a physical or virtual presence. (Program Goal 3)
- Critically evaluate, analyze, and interpret information concerning human, intellectual technological and material resources to solve problems and make business decisions occurring in both structured and non-structured environments. (Program Goal 4)
- Exhibit a rigorous understanding of core business operations reflecting an integration of functional perspectives. (Program Goal 1)
- Utilize methods which foster innovation in organizations and respond effectively to new circumstances, enabling organizations to realize the impact on products and processes. (Program Goals 3 & 4)
- Acquire and utilize knowledge of behavioral, policy, and strategic issues to improve the effectiveness of the organization.(Program Goal 1)
- Evaluate and manage the interdisciplinary role that sport plays in society, work with non-sport constituents to achieve larger goals and study the impacts that sport events can leave on communities across the world (Program Goal 5)
- Analyze the internal and external factors that influence and shape the discipline of sport management including advances in new media, changes in the political landscape, policy issues and current best practices across the field. (Program Goal 5)