Awarded since 1972, the Herbert E. Manning, Jr. Distinctive Service Awards recognize UDTS alumni/alumnae who demonstrate exceptional contributions in Christian ministry. Recipients model servant leadership, courageous convictions, a spirit of witness, and a faithful obedience as they contribute significantly to the Church universal, the Seminary, and all of God’s people.
The awards recognize the many gifts of one spirit, in a person who:
- graduated with a professional degree (MAR, MDiv, DMin) from UDTS
- in ministry leaves a lasting legacy impacting the lives of others
- is in a ministry supportive of or identified with a church or a church body
- without concern for self is witnessing to others with a true sense of call in a specific time and place
- demonstrates an appreciative relationship with UDTS and/or the Alumni Association
- contributes to the nominee’s denomination and/or the wider church
- qualifies for an award category, which currently include Parish Ministry and Specialized Ministry, including mission, ecumenism, community service, chaplaincy, communications, education, etc.
- has served seven years in the ministry; nominees need not be ordained