Health Reminders / Symptoms of COVID-19
General Health Reminders
Everyone can do their part to help prevent the spread of germs:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue whenever you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendation to cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face covering when around others. To learn more about the CDC’s recommendations on cloth face coverings, click here.
Symptoms of COVID-19
People who are diagnosed with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of symptoms – from mild to severe. Symptoms may appear two to 14 days after exposure and may include fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, and/or diarrhea. Please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for more information.
If you develop symptoms related to COVID-19 and/or have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19, seek care immediately. Call your health care provider before visiting the office and contact the following individuals:
- University of Dubuque Main Campus
- Students: Smeltzer-Kelly Student Health Center at 563.589.3360 or StudentHealthCenter@dbq.edu and your professors
- Student-Athletes: Erin Barsema, athletics health care administrator, at 563.589.3857 or EBarsema@dbq.edu and your professors
- Faculty/Staff: Julie MacTaggart, director of human resources, at 563.589.3619 or JMacTaggart@dbq.edu and your supervisor
- University of Dubuque LIFE – Dubuque
- Students/Instructors/Staff: Melissa Gunnelson, senior director of LIFE advising, at 563.589.3123 or MGunnelson@dbq.edu
- University of Dubuque LIFE – Cedar Rapids
- Students/Instructors/Staff: Karen Middleswarth, academic advisor at LIFE – Cedar Rapids, at 319.775.0204 or KMiddleswarth@dbq.edu
- University of Dubuque LIFE – Meridian
- Students/Instructors/Staff: Esteban Paredes, director of LIFE admission – Meridian, at 785.829.7881 or EParedes@dbq.edu
- University of Dubuque LIFE – Tempe
- Students/Instructors/Staff: Heidi Burks, academic director at LIFE – Tempe, at 480.845.0081 or HBurks@dbq.edu
If you have flu-like symptoms, stay home or in your residence hall and rest. Call your health care provider before visiting the office and contact the individuals above.