Health Reminders / Symptoms of COVID-19
General Health Reminders
Here are some general health reminders to remember:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue whenever you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- Follow the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendation to cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others. Cloth face coverings should not be placed on children under age 2. To learn more about the CDC’s recommendation on cloth face coverings, click here.
Symptoms of COVID-19
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of symptoms, ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear two to 14 days after exposure to the virus and may include cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fever, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, and/or new loss of taste or smell. Other less common symptoms have been reported such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Seek care immediately if you have recently traveled outside of Iowa and/or have been in contact with someone known to have COVID-19 and are experiencing the symptoms above. Students should contact Erin Barsema, health services administrator, at 563.589.3857 or EBarsema@dbq.edu. Faculty and staff should contact their supervisor and Julie MacTaggart, director of human resources, at 563.589.3619 or JMacTaggart@dbq.edu. We will follow guidelines from the CDC, Iowa Department of Public Health, and other local officials.
Individuals who have influenza symptoms such as a fever, cough, body aches, severe sore throat, or runny nose should consider seeking medical attention for the possibility of the flu. Students should contact Erin Barsema, health services administrator, at 563.589.3857 or EBarsema@dbq.edu or consult their regular health care provider. Faculty and staff should stay home, contact their personal physician, and notify their supervisor.