International Student Services

International Student Services extends a warm welcome to all of our international students!

Here, you can find valuable information and resources on the following topics:

F-1 Regulations  |  International Student Employment  |  International Student Travel  |  
|  International Hospitality Program  |  Health Services  | 

F-1 Visa Regulations

Maintaining Status: 
Although International Student Services will make every effort to keep you informed of USCIS regulations, you are responsible for maintaining your legal F-1 status. The results of falling out of legal status can affect your ability to enter the US in any status for many years. Please be careful in all matters concerning your legal status here as international students.

  • You must report to the International Student Advisor (International Student Services, Heritage Center, Suite 306) as soon as possible (within 7 days) of your arrival in Dubuque.
  • You must have a valid (not expired) passport.
  • You must have a valid (not expired) I-20.
  • You must be enrolled full-time every semester (except summer). This means 12 hours per semester undergraduate and 12 hours per semester graduate.
  • You must follow correct procedures (contact International Student Services) if transferring, changing academic goals, or extending your program of study.
  • You are limited to 20 hours per week of on-campus employment (except for school holiday breaks). 
  • You may NOT work off-campus.
  • Keep all your immigration documents in a safe place. Keep ALL of your old I-20 NOT throw them away! You may need them in the future to prove that you have remained in status.

Please contact International Student Services with any questions or concerns you have about your immigration status.

F-1 Visa Applications:

A valid F-1 visa is only required to enter the U.S. Once you are within the U.S., and are maintaining legal status, your visa may expire without consequence to your immigration status. If you leave the U.S. with an expired visa, you will need to apply for a new visa before you return. For more visa information, see:

[Back To Top]

International Student Employment

Employment for F-1 Students

A student in F-1 status at the University of Dubuque has limited opportunity for employment:

  1. On-Campus Employment: You may work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during the fall and spring semesters and full-time (up to 40 hours per week) during winter break and summer holidays if your I-20 is valid, you are in good academic standing, and you are enrolled full-time. 

    To find what jobs are available, contact Student Employment, x3169, located on the third floor of the Myers Teaching and Administrative Center. (Before you can be paid by the University of Dubuque, you will need a Social Security card.)

    Social Security Card: To apply for a social security card, you must bring your I-20, passport with I-94, a letter from your employer stating that you are employed, and proof of employment (our local office accepts a signed timesheet) to the local Social Security Office, located at 1635 Associates Drive, Suite 101, Dubuque, IA 52002-2279. There is no charge for the card, and if your I-94 number is registered, you should receive the card in about two weeks. 
    You can download the social security card application form from this website: 
  2. Optional Practical Training: After you finish your studies at the University of Dubuque, you may apply to the USCIS for up to 12 months of Optional Practical Training authorization to accept employment related to your field of study. For more information, please contact International Student Services.
  3. Other Employment Questions: Please contact International Student Services.

[Back To Top]

International Student Travel

Travel Information for F-1 Students

Travel in the United States:   
You are free to travel within the United States while in F-1 status. However, you must be enrolled full-time during the fall and spring semesters in order to stay in status. You do not need to be enrolled for the summer session in order to stay in the U.S., provided there are less than five months between the end of your spring term and the beginning of the next fall term. 

Travel outside the United States:  If you plan to travel outside the U.S. during your school breaks, you should be sure to have the second page of your I-20 endorsed for travel by International Student Advisor at UD. If you find it necessary to leave the U.S. during the school term, be sure to request a letter of explanation from International Student Services before you go, explaining that you have University permission to leave school for the specified time. (USCIS officials may question your re-entry when your I-20 shows that your classes are already in session.) You can remain in the U.S. on an expired visa, but as soon as you leave the country you must renew it to gain re-entry.

If you plan to travel to neighboring countries, such as Canada or Mexico, remember that you may need additional visas from these countries.  

If you plan to travel to U.S. territories, such as Puerto Rico, it is advised to bring all of your documents.

Travel Resources:  Everyone has their own ideas! But here are some resources to start with:

  • Christmas International House arranges homestays over the Christmas holidays all over the US: 
  • International Student Identity Card offers you discounts on hotels, travel, theaters, museums, shopping, and restaurants all over the world, including the USA! You can purchase an ISIC card at
  • Use the Web! offers reduced airfare and travel packages to students.

[Back To Top]

International Hospitality Program

Host Families are local residents (either families or individuals) who are paired with international students for the academic year. The hosts provide an informal introduction to life in the United States. Hosts and students can get together for many types of activities: meals, family outings, community events, or drives in the country, throughout the year. 

Students, in turn, can help their hosts learn more about other cultures. They might show pictures from home, prepare a meal, or invite their hosts to an international program on campus.

Conversation partners are usually fellow students who commit to helping international students practice English by enjoying casual conversation. International Student Services works with other on-campus groups to provide a host family and/or conversation partners for each student who would like to have this relationship. Please contact International Student Services for more information.

[Back To Top]

Health Services

The University of Dubuque requires that all students show proof of health insurance. As you may have heard, health care in America can be very expensive, and it is important for you to have adequate health insurance.

The University of Dubuque requires that international students purchase University-approved health insurance. You will be billed for this when you arrive on campus. Our health insurance is provided through the Lewer Agency, The Lewer Agency specializes in international student insurance and has been very helpful to our students in the past.

Please understand that health care in the U.S. may be different than health care in your home country. Healthcare in the U.S. is primarily private and can be very costly if you are uninsured or underinsured. Learning how to manage your healthcare in the U.S. will save you time and money.

Are You Feeling Sick?

Immunization Requirements: The University of Dubuque requires you to show proof that you have been immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Other immunizations are suggested, but this is the ONLY immunization that is required. It will be much less expensive AND more convenient for you to be sure you have this required immunization before you arrive in the United States. You are required to have two (2) doses of MMR immunization. 

All students must complete an Immunization Form and file it with the Health Services Office (Stoltz Sports Center 304). You must include an official record, provided by your physician, clinic, or school to show that you have received the MMR vaccine. (Do not complete this in yourself! You must either have the form stamped and signed by your doctor, or you must attach a copy of your medical record.) If you do not have the MMR, it is strongly suggested that you get it before you come to the U.S....the immunizations will cost you about $150-$200 if you get them here, and insurance may not cover them. If you do come to the U.S. without the required immunizations, contact the University Health Services Office (563.589.3857) for help in scheduling the required immunizations immediately.

International Student Services is always available to assist you in connecting to the Health Services Office, or answer questions. 

[Back To Top]

Contact Information:

Maggie Appel-Schumacher
Director for International Studies
International Student Services & Study Abroad
Heritage Center, Suite 306 
Phone: 563.589.3398

Study Abroad Advisor
International Student Services
Heritage Center, Suite 306 

International Student Advisor
International Student Services
Heritage Center, Suite 306