University of Dubuque December Commencement 2019
December 12, 2019 | 3:00 PM — 4:00 PM
- John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
- Registrar's Office at 563-589-3178 or Registrar@dbq.edu
Thursday, December 12, 2019 (3:00 p.m., Commencement Ceremony begins)
Check-in for Graduates opens in Heritage Center 304A (see details below)
Commencement doors open at John and Alice Butler Hall in the Heritage Center, McCormick & Bennett Streets.
Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis – non-ticketed. No food or beverages are allowed in Butler Hall.
Procession is led by the bagpiper into John and Alice Butler Hall
Commencement will take place at 3:00 p.m. on December 12 unless weather forces the University to close. There will be no make-up date for this event. Please consult this website for any weather-related announcements.
Commencement Ceremony begins in John and Alice Butler Hall in the Heritage Center. The event will also be streamed live. Please CLICK HERE to watch the ceremony live. On-demand viewing will be available after the event.
4:30 p.m. | Check in
5:00 p.m. | Commencement Celebration
Graduates and their families are cordially invited to attend the University of Dubuque’s Commencement Celebration, honoring all December Graduates.
Additional Commencement Information
GRADUATE HOODING CEREMONY
The Hooding Ceremony is a special recognition for graduates receiving an Master in Business Administration (MBA), Master of Arts in Communication (MAC) or Master in Management (MiM) degree. All candidates will be individually recognized at the Hooding Ceremony. As with Commencement, all faculty and students wear academic regalia at Hooding. The Hooding Ceremony is for graduate students only and does not replace Commencement. The Commencement Ceremony, held immediately following the Hooding ceremony, includes graduate and undergraduate students and is the official conferring of degrees. The hooding of master’s candidates prior to Commencement is an honored and special occasion at the University of Dubuque. For many participants it symbolizes the culmination of graduate studies and the degree recipient’s transition from student to colleague.
12:30 p.m. - Graduates are requested to check-in at Blades Hall
1:00 p.m. - Hooding Ceremony begins
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT COMMENCEMENT APPAREL AND PICK UP
Beginning Wednesday, November 20, undergraduate students may stop in to the lower level of the Babka Bookstore to pick up their cap, gown and tassel for Commencement Ceremonies. Pre-Orders are not required. We will have every height and size available when you stop in to pick them up and they are yours to keep. The cost of apparel is figured into your graduation fee.
GRADUATE STUDENT COMMENCEMENT APPAREL AND PICK UP
Beginning Wednesday, November 20, graduate students may stop in to the lower level of the Babka Bookstore to pick up their cap, gown and tassel for Commencement Ceremonies. The cost of these is figured into your graduation apparel and do not need to be returned. These must be ordered prior to October 11. Please refer to the e-mail that you received from Margo Ketels.
BABKA BOOK STORE HOURS
Monday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.
GRADUATE CHECK-IN DAY OF CEREMONY
Congratulations, Graduate! Here is some important information regarding the 3:00 P.M. Commencement Ceremony on Thursday, December 12, 2019.
- Check-in starts at 1:30 p.m. in Heritage Center, room 304 A.
- Please enter the Heritage Center through the Grace Street entrance (by Mike & Betty’s and Sparty’s Convenience Store)
- Take the steps on the right to the 3rd floor to Check-in with the Registrar’s Office Staff in room 304A where you will receive further instructions and have your photo taken.
- Assemble on the 2nd floor balcony in alphabetical order: Bachelors A-Z followed by Masters A-Z.
- Please only bring what you plan to wear/carry with you in the procession.
- As always, no food or drink are allowed in Butler Hall.
- Each graduate will receive a diploma cover from the President at Commencement. Graduates who have met all degree requirements will receive their diploma by mail.
- Any student who has not met their academic requirements for graduation will have their diploma held in the Registrar’s Office until such time as all degree requirements are met.
- If a student has an outstanding college account balance, their diploma will be held in the Registrar’s Office until their account is cleared by the Student Accounts Office.
General parking is available on the University of Dubuque campus in the following locations and on adjacent streets.
- Finley lot at Finley & West Streets
- University Park Drive lot at Bennett Street and University Park Drive
- Pearl Street lot adjacent to the corner of Pearl and McCormick Streets
- Lot across from Hardees at the corner of McCormick Street and University Avenue
Students and guests are reminded not to park in roped off or posted no parking areas. For people having to park distances away, shuttle services will be provided between University of Dubuque parking lots and the Heritage Center.
SPECIAL NEEDS PARKING/SEATING
While the amount of Handicapped Parking spots will be increased for this event, parking is on a first-come first-served basis. A reserved seating section will also be available to accommodate Commencement guests who have special needs. Reservations are required for the Special Needs Seating section. Click this link to complete the Special Needs Seating Reservation: Special Needs Seating. A sign language interpreter has also been contracted to provide “signing” services at the ceremony.
LifeTouch Photography will take a picture of each student receiving his/her diploma cover and a second pose with the diploma and flag background after exiting the stage as well as pictures before and after the ceremony. To view Commencement images, go to www.events.lifetouch.com.
For those traveling to Dubuque and planning to stay overnight, we recommend that you call early to reserve a hotel room. For information on local hotels and attractions, please feel free to visit the Dubuque Chamber of Commerce website at http://www.dubuquechamber.com
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us!