The University of Dubuque is proud to participate in the following eligible programs:
- Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Montgomery GI Bill® - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)**
- Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
- Vocational Rehabilitation - Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)
The University of Dubuque participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program.
The University of Dubuque VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL is Kim Baumler. She can be reached at 563.589.3178 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEPS TO APPLY FOR GI BILL® EDUCATION BENEFITS:
- Visit the GI Bill® website to apply online and learn more about education benefit descriptions and payment rates. If you have already applied and would like to know the status of your application, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 and speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor.
- Once you have been approved, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This will provide you with the chapter of benefits for which you are eligible, and the rate of pay you will receive. You will need to provide a copy of this letter to the VA Certifying Official at the University of Dubuque.
- If you are a current service member who would like to Transfer Chapter 33 benefits to a dependent, please review the information at the following link: Post-9/11 GI Bill®: Transferability.
STEPS TO BEGIN USING YOUR BENEFITS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF DUBUQUE:
To begin using your GI Bill® benefit at the University of Dubuque, please submit the following forms to Kim Baumler.
- UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form (this document must be submitted every academic year and can be found in the sidebar)
- Certificate of Eligibility (If you have not received your COE from the VA yet, please submit the UD Enrollment form for processing. Your COE can be submitted to us once you receive it from the VA.)
STEPS TO CONTINUE USING YOUR BENEFITS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF DUBUQUE:
- Each Month: Confirm your enrollment with the VA (not necessary for Chapter 33 recipients) - this normally requires a phone call to the Education Call Center at 888.442.4551 or 800.827.1000.
- Each Semester: Kim Baumler, Veteran Certifying Official, will contact you via your UD e-mail address to confirm that you would like to continue using your benefits for the next Spring and/or Summer term. Please respond to the e-mail, or your enrollment will not be certified for a future term.
- Each Academic Year: Submit the UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form (found in the blue sidebar).
PLEASE NOTE: If you withdraw from one or more of your classes it could affect your eligibility for VA Benefits. It is your responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official if you add/drop any courses during the semester.
VETERAN BENEFITS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Am I eligible for VA Educational Benefits?
Only the VA can determine your eligibility for benefits. Review the program details at http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ and apply online, or call a VA counselor at 888.GI.BILL.1 (888.442.4551).
Does the VA pay my full tuition?
No. The VA will pay you a compensatory benefit to help offset the cost of school. Certain GI Bill® chapters make tuition payments directly to the university, while others make the payments directly to you on a monthly basis. You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees in order to maintain continuous enrollment according to the policies stated in our academic catalog and student handbook.
Can I receive regular financial aid while receiving VA benefits?
Yes. You may be eligible for additional financial aid - please contact Kim Baumler (email@example.com or 563.589.3178) for more information.
I took courses while in the military, how do I request a transcript for those courses be sent to the University of Dubuque?
If you served in the Army, National Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy you may request a transcript online at https://jst.doded.mil/official.html
If you served in the Air Force, you may request a transcript at: http://www.au.af.mil/au/barnes/ccaf/transcripts.asp
How long will it take to receive my Veteran benefits?
New claims typically take from 8-12 weeks for the VA to process - sometimes longer depending on current processing volume. Note: The VA is generally overwhelmed with claims at the beginning of each semester. Always allow the VA 6-8 weeks to process any change in your claim. Once your initial claim is processed, you will receive your payments monthly, as applicable.
What changes should I report to the VA Certifying Official at the University of Dubuque?
To avoid delays or overpayment of VA education benefits, each VA benefit recipient is responsible for reporting any changes in status to the VA Certifying Official, including:
- Change of Address
- Change of Major
- Change in Enrollment Status (e.g. drop from full to part-time, or withdrawal from a course
- Complete Withdrawal from School
You may contact Kim Baumler, VA Certifying Official at 563.589.3178 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will I automatically receive benefits next semester?
No. The UD-VA Education Benefit Enrollment Form (found in the blue sidebar) must be completed at the start of each academic year. The VA Certifying Official will then contact you via your UD e-mail account to ask if you wish to continue utilizing your benefits for the spring or summer terms. Once you respond, she will then review your program of study and certify that the courses are required to complete the degree program. This certification is then sent to the Regional Processing Office.
PLEASE NOTE: Your UD e-mail address is the official method of communication. It is important you watch your e-mail for important communications, including updates on your VA Education Benefits.
Have more questions?
If you have additional questions, many can be answered at the Federal VA Frequently Asked Questions site. Or feel free to contact Kim Baumler, VA Certifying Official at 563.589.3178 or email@example.com.