Commencement is a time for the University of Dubuque family to come together to recognize and celebrate the academic accomplishments of our Spartans.
Winter 2023 Commencement Events
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 28, 2023
Grad Fest - LIFE - Cedar Rapids Graduates
4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Lobby, LIFE - Cedar Rapids Site
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2023
Grad Fest - Winter 2023 Graduates
10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Peter and Susan Smith Welcome Center AND Steffens Hall, Charles and Romona Myers Center
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2023
Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Commencement Ceremony
10:00 a.m. - John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
Reception to follow in A.Y. McDonald Lobby, Heritage Center
Livestream: UD YouTube
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2023
1:30 p.m. - Graduates Begin to Assemble in Palmer-Noone Lounge, Heritage Center
- Only graduates are permitted in the area where graduates assemble.
- Graduates should arrive in full Commencement apparel with cap, gown, and tassel. Graduate students should also bring their academic hood.
- There is not a secure area to store personal items before, during, or after the check-in process. It is not recommended to leave personal items behind.
2:00 p.m. - Doors open to John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
- Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. It is not ticketed.
- Guests are not allowed in the student seating area at any time.
- Only graduates are permitted to cross/be on stage to accept diploma covers.
3:00 p.m. - Commencement Begins in John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
Additional Commencement Information
Undergraduate and Graduate Student Commencement Apparel and Pick Up
Please check UD email for information on how to order commencement apparel. All orders submitted by Friday, October 27, 2023, will be ready for pick up at Grad Fest on Tuesday, December 5, 2023, (see information below) or between Wednesday, December 6, 2023, through Wednesday, December 13, 2023, in the lower level of the Babka Bookstore, Peters Commons. Please check bookstore hours below. LIFE - Cedar Rapids graduates will pick up at the Cedar Rapids site, and LIFE - Tempe graduates will pick up at the Tempe site. A "direct ship to home" option is available for an extra fee and must be ordered by Wednesday, November 15, 2023. The cap, gown, and tassel are yours to keep. The graduation apparel price is included in the graduation fee you pay when your graduation application is completed.
Winter 2023 graduates are invited to attend Grad Fest from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 5, 2023, in the lobby of the Peter and Susan Smith Welcome Center AND Steffens Hall inside the Charles and Romona Myers Center for free food, to win prizes and gifts, and to pick up regalia. The UD community may join the celebration for walking tacos from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or snacks from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. All attendees must check in at the Office of Alumni Engagement Table in the lobby of the Peter and Susan Smith Welcome Center to receive a meal pass.
LIFE - Cedar Rapids graduates are invited to Grad Fest from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Tuesday, November 28, 2023, in the lobby of the LIFE - Cedar Rapids site. Graduates can stop by to pick up their graduation swag bag, enjoy sweet treats, and get their picture taken at the photo station. Graduates can also pick up their regalia.
Grad Fest is hosted by the Office of Advancement and Alumni Engagement.
Babka Bookstore Hours
Monday and Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Winter Commencement, Thursday, December 14, 2023: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
For graduation jewelry, please click here.
At Winter Commencement, graduates will receive a diploma cover from President Jeffrey F. Bullock, PhD. Those who do not participate in commencement but would like a diploma cover should contact the Office of the Registrar at Registrar@dbq.edu after commencement.
Students who have not met their academic requirements for graduation will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar. Those with an outstanding college account balance will have their diploma held until their account is cleared by the Office of Student Accounts.
The University of Dubuque has partnered with Parchment to print diplomas as well as offer graduates an official digital version of their diploma with Parchment's simple, easy-to-use web application. Parchment will contact graduates via email and/or text with further information.
Graduates who have met all degree requirements will receive their digital diplomas via their UD email address within four to six weeks after commencement. Paper diplomas will be mailed 10 to 15 days after the digital diplomas. Paper diplomas will be mailed to the address graduates provided on their graduation application.
How to Get Your Digital Diploma
Graduates, follow these simple steps to get your digital diploma:
- Check your UD email and text messages for the award notification.
- Follow the link to set up your Parchment digital credentials account.
- Share your digital diploma on Facebook and LinkedIn or download as a secure .pdf version.
Your digital diploma will always be accessible through your Parchment account. You can login and download or share it again and again - at no cost to you.
Parking is available on campus in the following locations and on adjacent streets:
- Finley Lot at Finley and West streets
- University Park Drive Lot at Bennett Street and University Park Drive
- Pearl Street Lot adjacent to the corner of Pearl and McCormick streets
- Lot across from Hardee's at the corner of McCormick Street and University Avenue
Graduates and guests are reminded not to park in roped off or posted No Parking Areas.
To view a campus map, please click here.
Graduates and guests requiring accommodations such as special seating or an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter should contact the Office of the Registrar at Registrar@dbq.edu. The deadline to request an ASL interpreter is Friday, November 17, 2023.
Handicap parking is limited, so please plan accordingly. Parking spots cannot be reserved.
Empire Photography will photograph each graduate prior to Winter Commencement and as they receive their diploma cover. Empire Photography will also photograph each graduate prior to the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Commencement Ceremony and as they receive their diploma cover. To view and purchase photos, visit https://empirephotos.com/.
An additional professional photographer will take photos before, during, and after Winter Commencement. To view photos, visit https://udalumni.smugmug.com/.
Dubuque Accommodations and Attractions
For those traveling to Dubuque and staying overnight, we recommend you make your reservations early. Please visit Travel Dubuque's website here to learn about local accommodations and attractions.
Spring 2024 Commencement Events
TUESDAY, APRIL 16, 2024
10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Peter and Susan Smith Welcome Center AND Steffens Hall, Charles and Romona Myers Center
FRIDAY, APRIL 26, 2024
Bachelor of Science in Nursing Pinning Ceremony
11:00 a.m. - John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
University of Dubuque Theological Seminary Baccalaureate Service
1:30 p.m. - Blades Chapel
SATURDAY, APRIL 27, 2024
University of Dubuque Theological Seminary Commencement
9:30 a.m. - John and Alice Butler Hall, Heritage Center
University of Dubuque Spring Commencement
1:00 p.m. - Chlapaty Recreation and Wellness Center
* Content will be updated. Details subject to change.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions:
- University of Dubuque Commencement: Office of the Registrar at Registrar@dbq.edu or 563.589.3748
- University of Dubuque Theological Seminary Commencement: Jill Dodds, Administrative Assistant to the Dean of the Seminary, at JDodds@dbq.edu or 563.589.3122
- Commencement Apparel: Jennifer Wickman, Merchandise Manager, at JWickman@dbq.edu or 563.589.3131
- Grad Fest: Katie Kraus, Director for Alumni Engagement, at KKraus@dbq.edu or 563.589.3161
- Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies Commencement Ceremony: Kristie Arthofer, Physician Assistant Program Admission Director and Program Coordinator, at KArthofer@dbq.edu or 563.589.3662
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Pinning Ceremony: Neil MacNaughton, Head of the Department of Nursing, at NMacNaughton@dbq.edu or 563.589.3701
WINTER 2023 COMMENCEMENT EVENT PROGRAMS