~~~ New Flight Student Checklist ~~~

Medical Certificate
All students planning to begin flight training at the University of Dubuque are required to hold a current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) medical certificate. Aviation medical examiners (AMEs) are designated by the FAA to issue these certificates following completion of an application and a physical examination. Use the following link to search for an AME in your area: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/amelocator.

You could be denied a medical certificate in rare instances even if you feel you are in good health. These instances have to do with medical and/or legal issues you have had and should be evaluated before beginning your education for an aviation-related career. If medical or legal issues need to be addressed, expect delays in obtaining your medical certificate. You are required to possess a medical certificate to begin flight training, so get your medical certificate early to avoid delays.

A common limitation is a color vision restriction that restricts pilots from flying at night or under a signal gun control. These problems need to be identified early to determine if you are eligible for flight training.

There are three classes of medical certificates: first, second, and third class. First class certificates are required for pilots exercising the privileges of an airline transport rating. Second class medical certificates are required for pilots exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot certificate. Third class medical certificates are adequate for initial training purposes. While a third class medical certificate is a minimum requirement, we recommend obtaining a second class medical certificate.

Student Pilot Certificate
To obtain a student pilot certificate, you must complete an application through the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) website with an FAA-designated pilot examiner, an airman certification representative associated with a part 141 flight school, or a certified flight instructor. This activity can be accomplished at UD by attending one of the many registration days offered throughout the summer. Once reviewed by the Airman Certification Branch, the student pilot certificate will be mailed to the address provided by you on the application. The review process can take up to three weeks. Although a student pilot certificate is not required for flight training, it is required before you can fly solo.

Birth Certificate or US Passport
Please bring with you an original, state-issued, certified birth certificate or US passport to verify your citizenship. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires that one of our chief flight instructors see the original document and retain a copy for our records.

Aviation Headset
An aviation headset with twin plugs is necessary for flight training. There are many varieties of aviation headsets to choose from. Select one that meets your needs programmatically as well as from a price point.

Government/State Issued Photos ID
A valid driver's license or state-issued ID card are the only options that meet this criterion.

Kneeboard (Small Clipboard)
It is recommended to purchase a VFR (Private Pilot) or IFR (Instrument Rated) kneeboard and these can be purchased online from a number of vendors.

Prior Flight Experience
A record of all flight and ground training must be provided if a student has previously attended an FAA-approved flight or ground school. Students desiring credit must provide documentation of any flight experience and ground school course work to the head of the Department of Aviation as soon as possible. Prior to receiving transfer credit on transcript, students must provide all pertinent information and records including completion statements, FAA written knowledge exam results, and proof of US citizenship or compliance with TSA requirements as appropriate.

Upon a student's initial enrollment at the University, previous flight experience may be accepted in accordance with FAA part 141 regulations following the appropriate flight course evaluation. Pending satisfactory completion of a flight course evaluation, academic credits may be granted for appropriate courses on the basis of certificates and/or ratings held prior to the first day of class at the University of Dubuque.

After a student's initial enrollment at the University, all subsequent flight training must be completed in residence at the University's Babka Aviation Learning Center. Only those FAA flight certificates and ratings earned at the University of Dubuque as the result of flight training received at the University of Dubuque will be recorded on the student's transcript. All flight training courses may begin and end at any time during the academic year and may not necessarily coincide with the beginning and ending dates of the published term schedule.

International Students (Non-US Students)
All students interested in flight training that are not US citizens at the time of enrollment are required to undergo a process of compliance with Transportation Security Administration (TSA) rules and procedures. Please contact our Office of Admission at least four weeks before starting your incoming semester to begin this process and minimize any delay at the beginning of your flight training.