To learn more about the reporting and student conduct process, please review the frequently asked questions below.

Again, the information below is an outline of the general Student Conduct Process overseen by the Office of Student Guidelines which does not include the Title IX Student Process.

  • I have been documented for an incident. What do I need to do next?

You will receive an email from your Conduct Office (via Maxient) with the subject line "Correspondence for Case xxxxxxxxxx." Following the instructions from the email to open a Maxient letter that will instruct you to set up a meeting with your Conduct Officer. You should also consider reviewing the University of Dubuque Student handbook and specifically the alleged policy that was violated.

  • How does the process work?

If you are documented for involvement in an alleged policy violation you will need to set up a meeting with your conduct office. You were being notified through email. At your meeting you will get the opportunity to tell your side or what you know about the incident. After hearing from everyone involved in the incident, a decide would be made to whether you are responsible (violated student handbook) or not responsible (did not violate student handbook).

  • Would involvement with Student Guidelines go on my transcript?

Conduct records are confidential. Although it may not go on your academic transcript, it does go into a reportable file system.

  • Would my parent be notified?

No. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) preserves university students' records (including grades and conduct) confidential. FERPA prohibits educational institutions from disclosing information from a student's educational record to any third party, including parents, without the student's consent. A student must complete a waiver for our office to share details pertain to the incident.

However, University personnel may, at times out of concern for a students' health, welfare, or in a grave emergency, (i.e. death of a student, etc.) notify parent(s)/legal guardian(s) of a student. When alcohol or drug violations of University policy occur and the student is under 21 years of age, University personnel may notify parent(s)/legal guardian(s) in writing and/or by telephone.

  • What if I was not aware of a rule and I didn't know it was a violation?

Lack of knowledge of the policy is not an excuse for policy violation. Every student is responsible for knowing the rule and regulations of the university, so it is important for you to read your Student Handbook. If you are unsure about any policies, ask for clarification.

  • How does the conduct officer decide if a policy was violated?

The Office of Student Guidelines uses a preponderance of the evidence standard (more likely than not); therefore, all University Conduct Hearing outcomes are determined based on what was most likely to have occurred, based on the evidence, after the University Conduct Officer reviews all the information.

  • What do I do if I don't agree with the outcome of the conduct hearing?

Any outcome imposed as a result of a Conduct Hearing, including the finding of responsibility and assigned sanctions, may be appealed. For more information about how to appeal the outcome, please review your outcome letter and/or the student handbook.