Looking for ways to offset the cost of college?

External Funding:

  • GRANTS for graduate school are like scholarships in that you don't have to pay them back. If you withdraw from school, you may have to refund part or all of the grant, so know the individual grant's rules. While scholarships are often merit-based, grants are need-based and can relate to your prospective field.
  • DISLOCATED WORKER GRANTS [WIOA Act Section 170(a)(1)(B)] Increased funding in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. WIOA provides grants for the employment and training services for adults, dislocated workers, and youth and Wagner-Peyser employment services administered by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) through formula grants to states; and adult education and family literacy programs as well as State Vocational Rehabilitation Services programs that assist eligible individuals with disabilities in obtaining employment; both core programs are administered by the U.S. Department of Education (ED).
  • FELLOWSHIPS for graduate students generally relate to a short-term opportunity to study or conduct research in a specific field. Awarded for academic excellence, they can include an internship or other service commitment and can pay for living expenses, or offer a stipend. Fellowship opportunities can be found in most graduate fields.
  • SCHOLARSHIPS for graduate school are available through organizations, companies, states, and more. They can be need-based or merit-based, but you have to apply for them. Here is a short list of examples:
  • EMPLOYER funding for graduate students is another method to offset the costs of a degree. Check with your employer's HR department to determine if tuition reimbursement is a benefit you are eligible to receive. According to a survey conducted by the Society for Human Resource Management, nearly 50% of all employers provided some sort of tuition assistance.
  • Use available CREDIT. See if you qualify for the federal Lifetime Learning Credit, which allows individuals to subtract up to $2,000 annually from their tax bill. The credit applies to 20% of tuition and other required education expenses up to $10,000 or a maximum of $2,000 per return, and is available to single filers whose modified adjusted gross income is $67,000 or less, or to married people whose adjusted gross income falls at or under $134,000.
  • FEDERAL LOAN for graduate students may be available depending on one's eligibility. Student is required to complete a FAFSA application.
  • GRADUATE PLUS LOAN is a fixed interest rate loan made by the U.S. Department of Education via the Direct Loan program to graduate students. 
  • VETERANS SCHOLARSHIPS: https://study.com/resources/college-scholarships-for-veterans

Internal Funding:

Graduate Assistantship (GA) positions are available through the school. Prospective students interested in becoming a GA should follow the job application process found at https://www.dbq.edu/AboutUD/Employment/Jobs/. If accepted, all GA positions require a two-year commitment. Therefore, a GA should expect their program of study to take two years to complete.