Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. (Some people refer to these loans as Stafford Loans or Direct Stafford Loans.)

FAFSA on the Web

The FAFSA is the application for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan. File your Free Application for Federal Student Aid electronically.

Parent PLUS Loan

The Parent PLUS Loan is a Federal loan a parent takes on behalf of a dependent undergraduate student.  For more information about the Parent PLUS Loan or to apply, go to https://studentaid.gov/plus-app/parent/landing

Grad PLUS Loan

The Grad PLUS Loan is a Federal loan a Graduate student can take.  For more information about the Grad PLUS Loan or to apply, go to https://studentaid.gov/plus-app/grad/landing

Federal Student Loans

If you are one of the many students that utilize federal student loans to finance their educational expenses, you likely have questions about your loans. Below are the answers to some frequently asked questions.

Who is my loan servicer?

Call the Department of Education at 800-433-3243.

How much do I owe?

Contact your federal loan servicer. If you don't know who your federal student loan servicer is, call 800-433-3243.

What is the interest rate?

The interest rate varies depending on the loan type and the first disbursement of the loan. For more information regarding federal student loan interest rates, go to https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/interest-rates

When do I need to make payments?

For most federal student loan types, after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you have a six-month grace period before you begin making payments. Not all federal student loans have a grace period. Note that for most loans, interest accrues during your grace period.

How to make a payment?

Contact your federal student loan servicer. If you don't know who your federal student loan servicer is, call 800-433-3243.

Private Loan Information

FASTChoice helps you request the loan you determine is right for you by providing detailed information for various loans, as well as the terms and benefits offered by different lenders.