Spartans of UD: Dariya Piontkovskaya
Oct 21, 2020
Spartans of UD highlights what makes University of Dubuque special – the people.
Dariya Piontkovskaya, of Krasnodar, Russia, is a senior majoring in aviation management.
1. Why did you want to study aviation management at the University of Dubuque?
“The passion for aviation comes from my family. I grew up traveling across the world. Since I was little, I have always wanted to be a part of that environment. When I found out that University of Dubuque offers an aviation management program, I knew exactly where I wanted to go post high school.”
2. What do you enjoy most about aviation?
“I love the sense of adventure In that moment you realize how big the world is, and there is so much to see. I also enjoy meeting new people. With every new person that I meet there is always a new story. People from different backgrounds and cultures bring in so much knowledge. Being a part of something so grand brings a whole new meaning to life for me.”
3. What advice do you have for other students who are thinking about majoring in aviation management?
“Keep your mind open. Going into an aviation management major, I thought that the only path after graduating was the airline industry. That is the only path I knew of starting my first year at University of Dubuque. There are so many paths and opportunities to choose from with that major. To this day, I still find new opportunities related to my major.”
4. In response to COVID-19, University of Dubuque is offering synchronous and flexible classes during the 2020-2021 academic year that allows students to participate either face-to-face or remotely. You chose to attend classes remotely. What has your experience been like in your remote classes?
“Attending remote classes has been a great experience. I am able to focus on my studies and easily communicate with my professors in regards to assignments. With being an aviation management student, my classes were easily converted online and I am still able to participate in lectures through Zoom or Microsoft Teams. I also think that remote learning is convenient for senior students because it gives us breathing space from attending classes in person and more time to prepare for graduation and overall future plans such as work, moving, etc.”
5. Where is your favorite spot at University of Dubuque? Why?
“My favorite spot at University of Dubuque is the library. I love the bright natural colors of the inside of the building mixed in with the wood. Having lots of windows makes the area feel much bigger and more spacious. I also love to read, so I constantly would walk around the aisles browsing for new books to read and movies to watch. There is definitely a great selection of all sorts of stuff and it never gets boring at the library.”