Spartans of UD: Ozzy Schiessl
Nov 12, 2019
Spartans of UD highlights what makes University of Dubuque special – the people who live, work, and study on campus.
Ozzy Schiessl is a senior business major from Dubuque, Iowa, who is the treasurer of UD Veterans.
1. What motivated you to join the United States Navy? What was your primary role?
“My dad was a veteran in the Air Force and motivated me to join the military. I chose the Navy because I love to travel. I was a logistic specialist on the USS William P Lawrence and in charge of ordering, tracking, and receiving all shipboard parts.”
2. Why did you choose to attend University of Dubuque?
“My aunt recommended that I tour UD's campus. I chose UD because it was close to home and offered some additional benefits for veterans like access to the veterans center in Blades Hall.”
3. UD Veterans is a student organization that encourages veterans to support one another. How has UD Veterans helped you during your time on campus?
“Through UD Veterans, we help each other with homework when necessary and go out within the community to volunteer together. This group also gave me a chance to be more active and involved on campus.”
4. What advice do you have for other student veterans?
“My advice to student veterans is to join a club or sport that you are interested in. This is a good way to interact with traditional UD students. Use the veterans center when on campus, because it’s a quiet place to do homework and study. Also, talk to Rick Ernst (director of the Sergeant Jeffrey B. Dodge Veterans Center) about work-study opportunities in the veterans center.”
5. What are your plans for after graduation?
“I plan to attend grad school at the University of Iowa for Business Analytics next fall. I will work at Hodge in Dubuque as a supply management planner until I move to Iowa City in August.”