The information on this page is for students regarding requirements for graduation. For information about the commencement ceremonies, please go to www.dbq.edu/commencement.
Application for Degree
A student intending to graduate from the University must apply for their degree by submitting a completed Graduation Application form according to the application deadlines.
Application deadlines are as follows:
- For December graduates - July 15
- For May and August graduates - October 2
Graduation Application forms are available via the following links:
Students currently enrolled at the University of Dubuque who wish to pursue two undergraduate degrees simultaneously (e.g. BBA in Business, BS in CIT) must satisfy the program requirements for both degrees as well as completion of a minimum of 150 credit hours.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have submitted your graduation application, all follow-up communication and commencement information will be sent to your UD Email address. Please check your email regularly for any updates!
Commencement Participation Policy
Commencement: Thursday, December 14, 2017
December Participation Policy
Students in any one of the following categories may participate in the December commencement ceremony:
- Students who successfully complete all scheduled classes for fall term and have completed all degree requirements at the conclusion of the fall term.
- Students who have previously completed all degree requirements and did not participate in the May ceremony.
Commencement: May 19, 2018
May Participation Policy
Students in any one of the following categories may participate in the May commencement ceremony:
- Students who successfully complete all scheduled classes for spring term and have completed all degree requirements at the conclusion of the spring term.
- Students who have previously completed all degree requirements and did not participate in the December ceremony.
Scholastic honors awarded at graduation for bachelor degrees are cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude. Such honors are based on the UD cumulative grade point average:
- Cum laude is awarded to those who earn a cumulative average of at least 3.50
- Magna cum laude at least 3.75
- Summa cum laude at least 3.90
For May and August graduates, announced honors at the commencement ceremony will be based on the Fall semester (or J-Term, if applicable) UD cumulative GPA. Official final honors, which are recorded on your academic transcript, will be based on your UD cumulative GPA after the final grades for spring (or summer) term have been calculated. Honor cords will be distributed at the line-up for the commencement ceremony.
Change in Degree Requirements
A graduating student may choose the academic requirements of a catalog for ten years following the last year printed on the catalog cover, provided the student was enrolled at the University during the time of that catalog. For example, a student attending the University during 2008 may follow the provisions of the 2007-09 catalog through August of 2019. If the student remains enrolled for a term in 2011, the student may elect to follow the 2010-12 catalog in place of a previous edition and will have until August of 2022 to follow the provisions of that catalog. If a student re-enrolls after a ten year absence, the student must follow the provisions of the catalog current at the time of re-admission.